Weekly yard waste and curbside composting collection in Lake Zurich is now underway until mid-December. Yard waste and composting collection occurs on the same day as your normal refuse/recycling collection.
- Yard waste must be placed in biodegradable bags (brown paper) or cans (maximum 50 pounds) that are clearly marked as landscape waste (labeled as Yard Waste or a large X).
- Stickers are not required.
- Yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Branches should be tightly tied with biodegradable string or twine, in a bundle not exceeding four feet in length or 50 pounds in weight.
- Yard waste should be placed at the curb no sooner than 7:00 pm the day before the scheduled pick up day and no later than 7:00 am on the actual pick up day.
Prairieland Disposal / LRS will collect curbside all yard waste (as well as other organic materials such as food and pet waste) and deliver them to Midwest Organics Recycling located just west of Wauconda.
An optional 3rd cart for yard waste and organics is available from Prairieland Disposal / LRS for $5 a month.
How to Collect Food Scraps
1) Collect food scraps in your kitchen. Use paper bags only, no plastic.
2) Empty food scraps into your yard waste or food organics container, lined with a kraft or brown paper yard waste bag.
3) Set your food scrap container or yard waste bags at the curb on your normal collection day.
What Can Be Composted?
- All Food. Yep - all of it..
- Food-soiled paper.
- Yard waste & house plants.
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Coffee grounds and filters.
Prairieland Disposal / LRS will provide curbside compost collection of both food scraps and yard waste — both go into the same bin. If you already subscribe to yard waste service, you can now add your food scraps to the same bin.