- Updates on Current Projects
- Life Time Fitness (former Hackney's property)
Life Time Fitness
Life Time Fitness Construction Update (October 2020)
Construction of the new 125,000 square foot luxury physical fitness facility was suspended in March 2020 due to COVID-19. Life Time has suffered serious losses in membership revenue due to the closure of all clubs.
Clubs are slowly resuming operations across the USA, with reduced membership and limited cash flow. While some elements of the Lake Zurich project will see progress, overall construction will resume no sooner than Spring 2021. Life Time’s long term plans remain committed to this project and all clubs. A revised opening date has not been set.
In the first half of September 2020, Village staff met with representatives of Life Time to discuss securing the site for the upcoming winter until they are ready to resume construction potentially in spring of 2021. The silt fence will remain in place even though sections of the property now have established grass. The temporary stockpiling berm adjacent to Old Rand Road will continue to remain until final grading is completed Prior to resuming construction in spring, the condition of the site and structural status of the building will need to be reevaluated by the Village.
Documents related to the Life Time proposal are available below.
Planning & Zoning Commission & Village Board Recordings
The links below take you to the video recording of the meetings as well as the information assembled by staff and the developer and provided to the PZC prior to each meeting.
Courtesy Review Documents
Documents available below are the most recent relating to the Life Time development proposal.
Background on the Development
Life Time Fitness appeared before the Village Board on Monday, August 21st, 2017 for an initial courtesy review on a proposal to build a high-end luxury fitness facility on the former Hackney's Property at 880 North Old Rand Road.
Life Time then appeared before the Planning and Zoning Commission on November 15th, 2017, December 20th, 2017 and January 17th, 2018. These meetings have included presentations by the applicant and opportunities for residents to voice questions and concerns in regards to the proposed development. The Planning and Zoning Commission ultimately decided to recommend that the proposed development not move forward at its January 17th, 2018 meeting.
In February 2018, Life Time submitted a revised development proposal which was presented for a courtesy review at the Village Board meeting on Monday, March 5th, 2018. The courtesy review provides the applicant an opportunity to receive feedback from the Village Board regarding their proposal.
In March, 2018 Life Time presented a revised development proposal to the Planning and Zoning Commission. The Planning and Zoning Commission voted 5-1 to recommend the application for approval by the Village Board. Life Time received final approval for their development from the Village Board as of May 7, 2018.
The revised proposal is still the approximately 125,000 square-foot luxury athletic facility with 46,618 square feet of outdoor pool deck area. However, after incorporating feedback received by the PZC and Lake Zurich residents, development changes include:
- Reduced Building Height. Now two stories and 40 feet tall instead of the previously-proposed three stories and 58 feet tall. Life Time has moved a significant amount of programming space underground, reducing the overall height of the entire facility.
- Modified Access on Old Rand Road. New plan eliminates left-turn lanes out of the site. All traffic leaving the site will now be directed towards Rand Road.
- Relocated the Building to be Closer to Rand Road. The building is now 564 feet from the eastern property line as opposed to 463 feet in the previous plan. The entire building is located on the portion of the property that is currently zoned for commercial uses.
- Larger Landscape Buffer. On the east side of the property nearest the Lake Breeze Court residential townhomes, the buffer is now 81 feet wide where it was previously 62 feet.
A few of the Chicago-metro Lifetime Fitness facilities are in Vernon Hills, Schaumburg, Skokie, Bloomingdale, and Algonquin.
Visit the Lifetime website to learn more and see pictures of its facilities.