Police Officer Recruitment
Do you have what it takes to be a Lake Zurich Police Officer?
The members of the Lake Zurich Police Department embrace a community oriented policing philosophy best summarized by our motto of, "Always Our Best.” To achieve this standard, qualified candidates must be a person of good character and ability. Candidates will be required to successfully complete a series of rigorous evaluations including a written test, physical agility, oral interview, polygraph examination, an extensive background investigation, and post-offer psychological and medical tests.
Character Counts in Lake Zurich
Our values are at the core of what we do. We begin with a person’s character and continue to provide opportunities for growth through training and appropriate resources. We believe the public must have confidence, trust, and faith in the ability of every Lake Zurich police officer to efficiently and competently perform their duties. The Village of Lake Zurich’s character reflects its employees.
About the Department
The Lake Zurich Police Department provides a full range of police services to enhance the safety of residents and to recruit and retain the very best staff. The Lake Zurich Police Department has a staff of 33 full-time sworn officers and 19 civilian personnel to serve the Village. The police department is a 24/7 operation delivering superior service to the citizens of Lake Zurich.
2023 police officer starting salary is $73,798.40, with current top pay being $105,601.80.
Newly hired police officers without previous police officer experience shall be eligible to receive the $2,000 certified police officer stipend upon successfully completing police academy training and meeting the department’s firearms qualification standard.
The Village of Lake Zurich offers full-time police officers a comprehensive benefit package including health care plans, dental, and life insurance. Please see the information on this web page for details.
What are the minimum requirements?
- U.S. citizen, naturalized citizen or in the process of citizenship at time of hire.
- High School diploma or equivalent high school education;
- At least 21 years of age, and under 35 years of age at time of application, or as otherwise exempt by statute;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Valid Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) issued no more than one year prior to the date of application.
POWER Test Information
Learn about the POWER test at:
POWER tests may be taken at one of the following testing agencies:
- NIPSTA - Glenview, IL - http://www.nipsta.org/202/POWER-Test
- Joliet Junior College - https://www.jjc.edu/about-jjc/places-interest/power-testing
- Triton College – https://www.triton.edu/about/dept/academic/school-of-business-and-technology/criminal-justice-administration/power-registration-policy/
How do I apply?
Testing services for the position of police officer is done through National Testing Network (NTN). To register with NTN and schedule a test, interested candidates should go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, select ‘Find Jobs’, then select Law Enforcement Jobs and sign up for Lake Zurich Police Department.
When visiting the www.nationaltestingnetwork.com website:
- Complete the NTN registration process and schedule your test.
- Review all information related to the Lake Zurich Police Department (Police Officer), including minimum requirements, salary, and benefits.
- Review detailed information about the testing process.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions and take an online practice test (if desired).
Upon completion of your scheduled exam, scores are automatically forwarded to the Lake Zurich Police Department. Candidates who attain a passing score on the entry level exam will be asked to participate in an interview with the Lake Zurich Board of Fire and Police Commissioners. Candidates that pass both the written exam and interview will be placed on Lake Zurich’s eligibility list. Lake Zurich will contact candidates on the list and will invite them to participate in further stages of the selection process.